Solo Travel Being a Business and Lifestyle Sensation
October 24, 2019
“The man who goes alone may start today; but he which travels with another need to wait till that some other is ready. ” : Henry David Thoreau
In the event the statistics are any signal, many travelers agree together with Thoreau. In increasing quantities, individuals are traveling alone as opposed to just waiting for others to participate them.
Solo travelers not too long ago have totaled 21 million in mere the US and BRITISH combined. According to a fresh York Times article inside Nov. 2012, Internet looks for “solo travel packages” were up 60% on the prior year. The US Department regarding Commerce’s Office of Vacation & Tourism Industries (“OTTI”) reported a staggering 42% of You. S. citizens/residents that travelled abroad in 2011 visited alone. Of those personal travelers, 38% traveled for leisure or visit friends & family (“VFR”) and also 66% for business. In the same way, inbound solo travelers coming from abroad totaled 36. 2%. Of the, 23. 6% were about leisure trips and and also 62. 2% for perform. This business and lifestyle phenomenon continues to be growing exponentially.
Who are usually solo travelers?
Solo travelers certainly are a much broader group than the single population. They could be:
• Two-career couples about business travel or “DINK’S” (Double Income No Kids).
• People that have relatives or friends in another country.
• Family members seeking separate sports/hobbies overseas.
Abercrombie & Kent’s Jill Fawcett provides described their solo tourists as: “often… married or perhaps have partners, but the spouses don’t share the identical interest… They want traveling with like-minded people as well as the small group gives these some interaction. Then they get back to the privacy of their particular room… 25% of those who opt for our Intense Adventure series are (furthermore) solo travelers, inches she said. “People feel a tad bit more secure in a group in the event the destination is intimidating or there exists a language barrier. ” Solo Travel Is growing at a Rapid Fee | Phil Hoffman vacation blog, 10/25/11.
According to be able to Grand Circle Corp chairman Mike Lewis, “Women are an evergrowing force in the by yourself travel market… where the solo market has exploded from about 20% to be able to 25% of [Grand Circle’s] overall bookings during the past five years. “
Single travelers do still always play an active function in solo travel. Their growth is apparent in Europe and United states where people are marrying later and may even be divorced, widowed or perhaps never married. According with a March 19, 2013 write-up entitled “The Growing By yourself Travel Market”, http://tourismintelligence.ca, average single households total as follows:
• 35% of almost all households in developed nations around the world
• 40% in Finland and also Norway (2011)
• 37% inside the Netherlands (2011)
• 27% in the usa (2010), 29% in britain (2011) and also 28% in Canada (2011).
Just how do solos travel?
Solo travel may well not necessarily mean traveling being a “group of one”. Men and women may choose
1. Escorted party tours
2. Independent trips
3. Travel alone and select their own hotels/tours
Just what Issues Confront Those Touring Alone?
There are a couple of main challenges for personal travelers.
• Attractive costs: Lodging, tours and cruise trips are priced routinely about double occupancy. Most cruises and tours demand a single supplement for people traveling alone. Although this is simply not necessarily 2X, the price differential may be substantial. This is many pronounced in tour bundles, particularly cruises that have got “2-for-the-price of 1” early on booking promotionals. As an outcome, those traveling alone may well pay 3-4X couples/pairs.
• Excellent access and service: In the busy holiday or vacationer season, the unaccompanied traveler could be given less desirable hotels or tables in eating places. In fact, even 5 star hotels could be unwilling to take a dinner reservation for starters even when the individual traveler can be a guest of the motel. This is particularly correct on Saturday nights and also holidays. The alternative could be sitting at the bar for supper notwithstanding that the dining area has vacant tables. About cruises/river cruises or some other tours with “open seating”, tables are generally set up for also numbers. The result? These travelers are up against a “standup” buffet or doing sleuthing to find a great available seat.
What could be the Business Opportunity?
This travel phenomenon is growing exponentially and still symbolizes an underserved niche. The ability for the industry will be substantial, prioritized as uses:
Leisure travelers: They will be the largest percentage of market revenues. However, a more compact percentage go alone regarding leisure trips. The beneficiaries: airline carriers, hotels, tours, car and also concierge services.
Business tourists: Although a small percentage of revenues, a greater proportion are on business. Additionally, they may have a more substantial budget than an individual on a break. The same industry segments would benefit apart from tours except as potential additions to a international trip.